I believe that beauty is ageless and that no matter what your number is, it’s the way you carry yourself that keeps you looking beautiful! Many of you lovely ladies ranging in age from early 40’s all the way up to 70’s, have been writing to me lately asking for makeup advice. There are definitely some must-do tricks and some must-never-do-again tips that will keep you looking amazing so you can carry yourself with beautiful pride into your future.
1. Choose A Hydrating Liquid Foundation. A great foundation is absolutely key as we mature because our skin becomes discolored from things like rosacea, sunspots and blotchiness. Applying a liquid foundation will smooth out the appearance of the skin, restoring dewiness and taking years off your look. Blend it on with a non-latex sponge for a light coverage and make sure to cover your eyelids as well (this will act like a shadow base).
2. Switch to Cream Blush. Most powder blushes can start to look dry and chalky on skin that is older so using cream blush on the apples of your cheeks creates a moist natural flushed effect. It will brighten the face for a more youthful look. The best way to apply a cream blush is by tapping it high on your cheeks using your pointer and middle finger. If you feel you have applied too much, simply buff it down with a non-latex sponge. My current favorite is the CC+ Vitality Brightening Cream Blush.
3. Carmindize Your Face With Highlighter. If you want to achieve that radiant glow from your youth “Carmindizing” your face will do the trick. I coined this phrase years ago on the show What Not To Wear and now it’s also called “Strobbing.”You want to apply a cream or sheer powder highlighter that is pearlescent not glittery in a champagne hue under the eyebrows, on the inside corners of the eyes and on tops of the cheekbones for stunning fresh faced luminosity.
4. Fill In Your Eye Brows. Brows begin to become sparse over time and you will want to make sure they stay looking full and healthy. Nothing says age like thin anorexic looking eyebrows so don’t over pluck. If they have begun to fade a bit over time, try a brow growth serum to restore them. If they just won’t grow back then a good brow pencil is the best way to bring them back to life. Choose one with a super fine tip so the color feathers on and looks natural. I use the Mac Eye Brows Pencil.
5. Thicken up your lash line. You want to define your eyes during the day without
making them look overdone in your 40’s and beyond so choose a chocolate brown eyeliner pencil that is waterproof so it won’t run. Apply along the roots of the eyelashes in small connecting dashes and smooth over with a Q-Tip or an angle brush for a softer effect. Then finish with a coat of black smudge-free mascara on top lashes. Try L’Oreal Paris Infallible Never Fail Eyeliner for an inexpensive solution.
1. Say No To Powder Foundations. Powder foundation will weigh heavy on older skin showing off fine lines and wrinkles much more than a hydrating liquid foundation will. Stay away from any powders that are highly pigmented if you want to look fresh.
2. Stop Using Dark Matte Lipsticks. This will just make your lips recede and as we age our lips tend to get a bit smaller anyway so you do not want to help that issue along. Instead choose moist matte or lightly luminous lip colors in lighter and brighter shades that will enhance your lip shape and show off your gorgeous smile.
3. Stay Away From Opaque Dark Eye Shadows and Liquid Eyeliners. Dark opaque eye shadows tend to make eyes look smaller and liquid eyeliners can look messy and not stay exact on the delicate skin around the eye that is not as firm as it once was. Instead use neutral colored sheer eye shadows to define eyes and switch to eyeliners in pencil, powder or gel form for a more blended softer look that stays put. My favorite eye shadows are the quads from Youngblood.
4. Ban Glitter And Frost From Your Life. Super shimmery glitter and frost in any of your makeup products from lip colors to bronzers will work against you now. Those chunky shimmery particles will only settle into fine lines and wrinkles making them more noticeable. That does not mean you must steer clear of all radiant, glowing products. Instead opt for pearlescent finishes that will highlight the skin, bouncing light off of it, making it look more polished.
5. No More Waterproof Mascara. We lose lashes as we age and waterproof mascara can be very harsh to our flirty fringe when we try and take it off at night. It can cause us to lose even more lashes, which is not a good thing. To avoid smudging and flaking go for the new tube technology mascaras that never smear yet wash off gently and easily at night.